Health and wellness apply not only to the body and mind but also to one’s spirit. Your “spirit” usually refers to your inner self, the part of you that enables you to make meaning of your world, the events in your life, and the purpose you fulfill.
Spirituality is unique to each person. For some, it may be about developing compassion and contributing to society. For others, it may mean being at peace with nature, while for some it may be related to religious faith and being a part of organized religion.
Many factors play a part in defining spirituality such as values, ethics, religious faith, beliefs and morals. Spirituality allows us to find inner calm and peace as well as to gain hope and strength. Nurturing your spiritual health can lead to a greater sense of meaning and purpose and an overall sense of peace and well-being.
Ways to Enhance Your Spiritual Wellness
- Understand your beliefs, why you have them, and why you value them
- Take time for quiet reflection, prayer, or meditation
- Participate in community service
- Engage in activities that connect your mind and body (e.g., Yoga, Tai Chi, etc.)
- Practice spiritual traditions
- Read inspirational books
- Explore what spirituality means to you and learn how you can be more spiritually aware
- Pay attention to your feelings, emotions, and thoughts
- Continue to seek purpose in your life
- Understand your own values, ethics and beliefs and respecting the values, ethics and beliefs of other people
- Develop and utilize strategies to manage stress and anxiety (e.g. through mindfulness, etc.)
- Be able to spend quiet time for yourself
- Have a clear sense of right and wrong, and act accordingly
- Be able to practice open-mindedness and compassion in life